8 July 2009

Seen at Koorong

I was over at Koorong books recently, haven't been there for months, if not years and saddened to see a section on 'leadership'.

This is a disease that has really gotten into the church, making of the church an organisation, rather than a family. Even the Sunday School at my church has 'leaders' for our little ones. Leaders! I want them to teach, not lead. Even parents don't lead, but educate and guide! Proverbs 22:6 for instance.

Leadership in any spiritual context reeks of cultishness to my mind.

What grieved me most was that the idea of 'leadership' is anti-community. It is not about family, growing together or even sharing. It is a denial of service at the definitional level as it is about self, not others, it seeks to take people somewhere, but assumes knowledge that we in fact do not have. It is the Spirit who leads. Christ is our head (our life source), not the minister, teacher, coordinator, convenor, facilitator, or other type of serving that properly goes on at church.

See also my earlier posts on this here and here.

Oh for a section at Koorong on 'ministry' instead!