30 September 2009

Challenge

I've just looked at the book "Life of Jesus" which offers a 'challenge' after each episode of the video that it accompanies.

Also the other day on 2CBA-FM someone mentioned that part of evangelism is to 'challenge' someone...probably to challenge their beliefs.

Now, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't really feel any desire to 'rise' to someone's challenge which clearly seeks to favour their point of view over mine. I just wouldn't bother. It's an obnoxious, pugnatious way of regarding people, IMO. Far better to seek to relate to people, offer something to think about, or to discuss what made you think about faith and life...'challenge' see any marketers using that word to try to change your self-belief? I don't think so.

It suggest to me a sense of panic in those who use it...but don't panic, just get on with cultivating your life of following Jesus, bearing the fruit of the spirit, and seeking to serve and not be served.