12 May 2009

Fundamentalism #2

In a previous blog, continuing from Michael Jensen's 'Blogging Parson' I made some remarks about fundamentalism and orientating frameworks of belief.

In this very connection, a review in Spectrum (Sydney Morning Herald, 9 May 09) of ex-bishop, now 'theologian at large' Richard Holloway's book "Between the Monster and The Saint: Reflections on the Human Condition" (Spectrum's odd capitalisation aside) I think we can see where doubting basic revelation leads to a completely alternative world view. But what I suspect he didn't doubt was the materialist framing of his views; even if unconscious.

He has ended up with 'religion' as being nothing transcendental, but a mere cultural invention; that is, its belief system being an arbitrary (?) collection of mutterings that occur within a meta religious framework set by the predominant materialism of the day (in our case). So what he really really believes is that the scope of our being (our origin, destiny and relationships) is set by materialism.

Oddly, I would agree with him on 'religion' in general, but as he was an Anglican bishop, I guess he is referring to Christianity, or at least including it when he refers to religion. Now, I'd like to see his doubt exercised toward the materialism that he may be using to frame his position. Tough call. Atheists of whatever stripe seem to baulk at this depth of doubt.

If I can obtain permission I'll post a PDF of the review. If I can't I'll put up excerpts in discussion.