31 May 2009

Head

This morning (31 May 09) one of our ministers talked about Colossians 2:13-23. The talk was on 'true spirituality' which reminded me of Francis Schaeffer's book of the same name.

The mention of Christ our head in Colossians 2:19, however lead my thoughts.

I thought about it with the other 'head' passages: 1 Corinthians 11:3; Ephesians 1:22; Ephesians 4:15; Ephesians 5:23.

Head here is, I think, not about 'rule' or 'authority' which is how it is from time to time seemingly regarded in conservative churches; particularly with respect to an 'order' or even a hierarchy in relationships between the sexes, that goes on to, in my view, distort the biblical teaching about husbands and wives, men and women in general, and overseers and churches (clergy and churches in the parlance of some, including some Anglicans). Taken to an extreme, this has implications for the relationships within the trinity too...dangerous and concerning ones which undo this particular theological line, I think.

But I doubt, therefore, that this is the point of the verses. Response to 'head' is a response that recognises unity, an organic unity brought by new birth into the church (in the references to Christ as head of the church). It is about harmony and support, not power. Power implies opposition and conflict, even coersion, and the need to overcome discord! and I don't think that this is present between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. So how could it be conceived as being given such an orientation as between husbands and wives, men and women, and overseers and churches? Not, I think.